In 2001, The Community Place was formed from the merger of three settlement houses with long traditions of service to the Rochester community: Eastside Community Center; Genesee Settlement House; and Lewis Street Center. The roots of these agencies stretch back over 100 years- the predecessor of Lewis Street Center, the Association for Practical Housekeeping, was formed in 1907. Settlement houses have long been a neighborhood solution to neighborhood problems. We have educated and cared for those in need and applied innovative thinking to sometime s difficult tasks. Throughout the years the neighborhood and the population has changed but we have remained and so has our mission: strengthening our community, one person, one family at a time.
BACK TO TOP